Monday, November 27, 2023

Whatever You Did to the Least, You Did to Me! (34th Sunday, Year A)

 To listen to this homily, click here.

One of my character flaws, one of many(!), that drives people crazy, is what they describe as “Schroeder Time”. In my version of chronology, a task that normally takes 15 minutes can be done in 5; a drive that always takes 20 minutes will be completed in 10. I often build my day and my commitments around this unrealistic schedule and usually end up running late and keeping people waiting. In my mind, my rationing of time makes perfect sense. The problem is, I don’t account for missing a light, getting behind someone driving below the speed limit, or any interruptions, disruptions, or diversions whatsoever. In other words, I assume everyone and everything will just move out of my way. This, of course, never happens! Daily life is full of surprises, detours, and interruptions and some of the most grace-filled moments are the ones we never planned on! 


While I make no defense of myself or my scheduling habits, I don’t think I am alone. This attitude seems to be pretty common among humans and it permeates many dimensions of our lives. How often we approach our day and our problems as if we were king or queen of the universe. As if all that matters was coming up with the perfect plan and carrying it out. 


Today’s feast reminds us of the actual truth: there is one king and only one king of the universe and that is Jesus. He rules over time and space, over all that ever was, is, and will be. There is no thing or person outside of his dominion and authority. But the kingdom of God is a little different than any other kingdom we’ve seen. It is hidden and subtle. It does not crush or dominate. It is full of surprise and irony. 


Our king likes to visit in disguise. He arrives in the appearance of the poor, the sick, the lowly, the annoying, and the sad. More often than not, he is shrouded in humility and subtlety; if you aren’t paying attention, he can walk right by without being noticed. That is the word of caution in today’s gospel. Both the righteous and the wicked seem surprised by their verdict; “When did we see you, Lord?” they exclaim and we can almost see them scratching their heads, trying to remember a moment when they encountered the Lord. “Whatever you did to one of these least ones, you did for me”, he replies. 


The famous Russian author, Leo Tolstoy, wrote a story called, “Martin the Cobbler.” It tells of a lonely shoemaker who is promised a visit by Jesus that very day. Throughout his work, he waited for his arrival. But the only ones that walked through the door were a man in need of shoes, a young mother in need of food and shelter, a child in need of kindness, all of whom he helps. Martin the cobbler ended the day thinking, “Perhaps tomorrow He will visit,” only to hear a voice reply, “I did come to you today, Martin; not once, but three times. – and you helped Me!” — Christ is a King who appears all around us as the poor, the sick, the crippled, the tortured, the marginalized. Many of these encounters are not life-changing moments but rather simple, thoughtful interactions of kindness, compassion, and respect.


This is a sobering reminder to you and me, a people that are often running around like chickens with our heads cut off. A people who often navigate our day and our lives through a screen without being present to the real humans around us. I know that I usually try to cram 28 hours of activity into most of my days and so I am not always accepting of the interruptions and surprises, the unscheduled visits and drop-ins where Jesus is hiding. Many times, when I pray, I carve out a little time that works for me and then I wait impatiently for God to do his thing, on my command and timeline. But this is not how the Kingdom of Heaven works! And this is not how the King of Kings usually visits! 


As we prepare to enter the season of Advent next week, the Church is giving us a reminder to slow down, to pick our head up, and be mindful of the little moments where God can be found. We are being encouraged to see the kingdom of God and its king for what they are and not how we want them to be. There is a bumper sticker many of us have seen which says, “God is my Co-pilot” . That is a good start but now the Church says, “If Christ the King is your Co-Pilot, it’s time to change seats. Let him lead the way!”


With that in mind, let’s make sure we value the seemingly insignificant interactions that will happen this week. Let’s allow ourselves to be interrupted and delayed without becoming too anxious or troubled. Be present to the people in front of you in the coming days, at the store, in your home, at work, and on the road. If Jesus is present in any of the people you are soon to encounter, will he be treated well or might he end up being ignored, dismissed, or worse? The key to entering into Christ’s kingdom depends most on these little moments and how we respond. Jesus will visit each of us many times in the week ahead. May we treat him well, starting always with the least among us!