Monday, September 21, 2015

Stewardship (9/20/15)

        I want to thank Glenn and Mary Drexl for speaking about stewardship before all the Masses this weekend. It takes courage to speak about something personal in front of a big group of people, especially when those people are your friends and neighbors! So, thank you for sharing your experience of stewardship with us. I want to follow in Glenn and Mary’s wake and speak about stewardship as well.

There is a humorous story about a family coming out of Mass. The dad said to his wife, “father’s homily wasn’t very good.” The wife added, “Yeah, and the choir sang off key.” Their small son was listening to everything his parents said and he spoke up. “It seemed OK to me,” he said “especially considering it only cost us a dollar!”

That is one approach to Sunday giving that seems to be popular with many Catholics. There is a different approach, called Stewardship. It is based on the fundamental truth that we all have one and the same heavenly father. The implications of this truth are enormous. If God is our Father, then he is the source of all we have and are. It also means we are brothers and sisters and we have a responsibility for each other.

It is hard to keep that perspective today. In many ways our society is coming apart. One can easily respond by saying that I will take care of myself. Let others worry about themselves. Live and let live. Of course, I will be tolerant of others - as long as they don’t get in my way. If we all have one father, that approach will not work. Because of Christ, we are all brothers and sisters, part of one massive family.

The way we express this reality is by Stewardship, that is, dedicating the first portion of our time, talent and treasure back to God. Traditionally and biblically, this was expressed by the tithe; give 10% back to God and use the remaining 90% for our needs. There was a boy in the nineteenth century who lived by this rule. He came from a modest family. In his first job he earned $1.50 a week. He brought the money home to his mother who placed it in her lap. She said, “John, I would be very happy if you gave ten percent back to God.” That Sunday, young John placed fifteen cents in the collection. From that time, he gave to God ten percent of everything he earned. He went on to become one of the richest men in America – John David Rockefeller.

Now, you could certainly find things about Rockefeller to criticize. Still, he knew that the first part belongs to God. I am not saying that if you tithe you will become a millionaire, but I do promise you will find peace, purpose and blessing.

For many people Stewardship is frightening. They would like to do it, but don’t know how. They feel they have too many debts, too many obligations. I remember feeling this way when I started. But really there is only one way to tithe. You have to begin, perhaps small, but you have to start somewhere. Rockefeller said that if he had not tithed his first dollar, he never would have tithed his first million dollars. Stewardship requires planning and thought. If my giving to the parish consists of whatever is left in my wallet each weekend or happens simply when I remember or feel like it, it will be nearly impossible to be a good steward. Fortunately, we now have many tools and resources to help us give in planned and thoughtful ways. I would highly encourage you to take advantage of your bank’s online payment options which can send your gift to the parish automatically at no cost to you or use the online giving service which is located on our parish website. Both of these methods make it easier to budget your support of St. Michael parish in the midst of busy schedules and tight finances. On a personal note, it took me seven years to reach the goal of tithing, which for me is 5% to the parish and 5% to other charities. Interestingly, in these seven years I have been increasingly blessed and have been able to give even more than the 10% I originally planned. 

Stewardship is not just asking us to prayerfully consider our charitable giving of our financial resources. We also need to consider tithing our Time and Talent. We are all are busy, but try to look at it in a different way. Each of us has the same number of hours in a week: 168. 45, 55 or even 60 go for sleep. Another 40 or more are spent on one’s work. That still leaves 70 hours. We give one hour to God at Sunday Mass. Could we give an additional hour – say in Eucharistic Adoration, in a Religious Education program, serving on a parish committee, or maintenance of our parish? The back of the bulletin contains a survey of talents this parish needs. We left open spaces for the unique talents you might want to share. If you are already volunteering time in some area and wish to continue, write that down. Some parishioners give 5 or 10 hours – or more. They keep our parish going. I also recognize that many parishioners volunteer in community organizations. That is good. You might want to write that down as part of your offering to God.

Giving part of our best time, talent, and treasure is important. As I mentioned – and I believe many people sense – our society is becoming unraveled. There is a temptation to pull back and circle the wagons. I sometimes experience it myself. I have even felt that sense of discouragement come over me while at Mass. I am somewhat ashamed to say it, but it is true. However, what gives me new hope and purpose is when I see the kids coming forward for the Children's’ Liturgy of the Word or receiving communion or saying something adorable after Mass. You and I want to make a better society, a better parish, for their sake.


         For their sake, I am asking you to make a commitment of Time, Talent and Treasure. We have one Father. We are all brothers and sisters – with a responsibility for each other. God owns it all – we are called to share and give some of it back so others may be blessed and our happiness may be multiplied.